Al Qamar Academy, Chennai, Grade 4
Small Science – Class 4
Chapter 1 – Sun, wind, clouds and rain
Reflective responses on ‘Weather’
These are some of the Al Qamar Grade 4 students’ selected workbook responses. I have typed them verbatim along with any errors of spelling or grammar.
About the context — Chennai experienced terrible floods in November / December 2015. A number of students were personally affected by the floods — some had to evacuate their homes in boats. There was no power and food / water was scarce in certain localities. Some of the children were involved in relief work with their parents. The floods left a deep impact on the children — hence their descriptions are very vivid even after eight months.
In what kind of weather is it dangerous for fishermen to go fishing in the sea?
- Storms, tornedoes, underwater earthquakes. All these are dangerous to fishermen. For example, if in storms their sails will breakdown and they get carried away sometimes they die. In a tornedo, they might get drowned because the water’s rough or their boat may break down and they die. In an underwater earthquake there is a tsunami and their boat gets smashed and they die. (AF, Girl, Grade 4)
- Stormy weather its dangerous for fishermen to go to he sea. In stormy weather because the wind might push the fishermen down and might get hurt. A lightening may strike the fishermen and a wind might push the fisherman to the sea. (IAA, Girl, Grade 4)
What is a flood? Have you or your parents seen a flood? Have you heard of floods in other places? Where and when did these floods take place? What was the reason for the floods? What happened then?
- A flood is caused by rain, overflowing lakes and rivers. One flood can cause many people to die. Many people lose their house and family. Floods are terrible. Yes Yes in Chennai, when I was in American, Jammu and Kashmir in 2010, 2015 2014. When the rain fell and fell the dam overflows, this causes the floods. Thousands of (people) lose their lives, homes and family. Many people suffer their losses life long. The dead men are just awful they are a life long memory.* After the floods, the city is such a mess. People have to clean the whole city this includes buildings, roads, houses etc. (AF, Girl, Grade 4)
- A flood is sometimes caused by rain or the damp (‘dam’) gate is open or water is sprouting from the ground. There was a flood in Chennai from November till December. The flood came to my house and I had to go to my Great Grandfather’s house on a boat. (IAA, Girl, Grade 4)
- We had a flood in Chennai. My grandparents have seen floods. There are many places which had floods. Our floods took place in November and December. The reasons for the floods are, cause it was raining heavily. Many people died in the floods. Many people houses broke. There was a rumour that many crocodiles escaped from Crocodile Bank. And electricity poles had fallen and broken. Some trees fell down too. (HJ, Girl, Grade 4)
- A flood is a very very large amount of water. I’ve seen a flood on TV. There is a flood in Bangalore, There was a flood in Thambaram and full Chennai because it was raining non stop. (AS, Boy, Grade 4)
- The water came UP.
The water came up in the house.
I gon when the boat come.
The frige is ling down.
Then my house was date.
The sofa is ling down.
My dad push the boat.
My dad walk in the water.
Then my dad in the water.
In my house there was so many water.
The helicopter came and gave food.
In my house the water came up to my dad nak.
(ShS, Boy, Grade 4)
Write your own poem or songs about any of the seasons.
- In the winter you have fun
Go for long walks and for runs
The wind blows and once I followed it
I know where the wind goes,
But where the wind comes from, nobody knows.
When you sing at Eid night
Mice are nibbling cheese at night on Eid night
The moon is shining up there
Oh Mother, she looks like a lamp in the air. (IAA, Girl, Grade 4)
- Winter is fun cause it rains.
It is so much fun playing in the rains.
Splashing, pouring in the rain is so much fun.
Singing in the rain is fun too
I love rains
I love rains
In a rainy day so much cool
Why don’t we play in the rain? (HJ, Girl, Grade 4)