Think! Think!What would happen if there were no plants?
Text Book & WorkbookClasses 1 - 5
Teacher's BookClasses 3 - 5
A unique integration of physical,
biological and environmental sciences
Homi Bhabha Curriculum for Primary Science
Develops verbal and non-verbal expression through
discussion, writing, drawing and acting
Thought-provoking questions and exercises
Design & EngineeringPlanningDrawingConstructing
Welcome to Small Science
Small Science is a series of innovative primary science books developed by the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education. Small Science builds on the natural curiosity of young children. Moving away from rote learning, Small Science develops skills of systematic observation, analysis and articulation.
Over more than a decade after it was introduced, numerous dedicated teachers have enthusiastically adopted Small Science. Thousands of students have enjoyed learning from these books and some recall their experiences years afterwards. Schools and curriculum developers continue to use them as resource.
In collaboration with the TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS) we support schools that are implementing Small Science. Please contact us for teacher development programs and follow-up of Small Science in your school.
Send email to Small Science Support Team (smallscisupport [at] hbcse [dot] tifr [dot] res [dot] in)
More about the books:
The books are available in English, Hindi (हलका फुलका विज्ञान), Marathi (हलके फुलके विज्ञान), Urdu (ہلکی یلقی سائنس) and Odia (ହାଲୁକା ଫୁଲୁକା ବିଜ୍ଞାନ).
Small Science seeks to
- integrate physical, biological and environmental sciences,
- incoroprate insights from decades of research, field-studies and systematic classroom trials,
- develop concepts through carefully designed activities using easily available materials,
- provoke thought by carefully designed questions and exercises and,
- use simple, child-friendly language and accurate and level-specific illustrations to capture the child's interest.
- skills of verbal and non-verbal expression through discussion, writing, drawing and acting,
- design, mathematical, analytical and problem-solving abilities,
- independent thinking and creativity and,
- a sound basis for later abstractions in science.
The Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education is a National Centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai. The Centre carries out research and development in mathematics, science and technology education at the school level. It is the country's nodal centre for Olympiads in mathematics and science.
HBCSE website: http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in